It’s that time of year again. The 2nd Annual Tampa International Fringe Festival has begun.
Last year I had the honor of photographing the inaugural Tampa International Fringe Festival for Creative Loafing Tampa.
This year the festival has expanded from 4 days to 10 days. But before I talk about this year’s festival, here are my top 10 memories of last year’s fringe:
10. Pretending to break into a theater to see a play. The name of the play was Where We Go Together or The Flashlight Play. It was one of my favorite moments of last year’s Fringe, and it’s back again this year.
9. Hanging out at Fringe Central. New World Brewery was Fringe Central last year. It was the perfect location to host a Fringe open mic. This year the fun is moving to Gaspar’s Grotto.
8. The costumes.
7. Midnight Cabaret. Need I say more? It’s returning this year on Friday, May 11th at The Attic.
6. Watching Willi Carlisle dry hump a banjo. Now I definitely need to say more. Willi is a kick-ass folk singer with a bit of a wild streak. His one-man show, There Ain’t No More — Death of a Folksinger, was one of my favorites last year.
5. Watching Killy “Killer” Dwyer climb up on chairs and sing her heart out. There’s never a boring moment at Fringe.
4. The masterful religious satire Carrie’s Little Lambs brought to the party. Nothing is too sacred to be made fun of at Fringe.
3. When Katie Mack brought a bright pink dildo onto the stage…then quickly tried to hide it in a shoebox. I didn’t see that coming.
2. Sock puppets. Because nothing’s funnier or more ridiculous than sock puppets.
1. Interviewing Nancy Kenny about Tampa Fringe. She taught me so much about Fringe. And how many people can climb up on a stage wearing roller skates?
I can’t wait to see what craziness transpires this year. I’m going to be tweeting and Instagramming from The Attic tonight, from 6 pm -11:30 pm, where I’ll be seeing 2 Ruby Knockers, 1 Jaded Dick: A Dick Darrow Investigation; God is a Scottish Drag Queen; Save Me, Dolly Pardon; and Schwasted Shakespeare. With names like that, things are sure to be interesting.
Follow along @FLillustrated #TampaFringe and look for my upcoming show reviews at cltampa.com.